April 8, 2008

Internship Update.


I have been waiting for months for a call back or even a rejection email from any of the major establishments I've applied for in NYC... and I've received absolutely nothing. So, I figured that it was either:

1. They just have too many resumes to run through and they are just taking their time going through them. (This is what I called the optimistic side of me... something I like to call my "Arlene-side.")

2. My cover letter and resume. (And trust me I went to multiple sites for cover letters and resumes to make the perfect one. I even looked at fashion message boards on what I should have.)

Since I haven't been optimistic, I've decided to choose... (DRUM ROLL PLEASE!)

Big NUMBER 2!

I know, right? It's not a big surprise. Since, I'm still attending school, I decided I should finally make use of the resources that I've been paying for, for so many years. So, off I was to the career center for them to tell me "how it is." They were extremely helpful on how to organize my resume and what to highlight first and keywords to use. Besides that, the person at the career center had absolutely NO CLUE on where to even guide me to even jump start my career. (I even had to give her tips on where to go to even look for magazine internships.) Every person, no matter what their profession, has told me the same exact thing. "You should try to go a local publication... or maybe you shouldn't apply for something so big."

I'm sorry, but I always want to think BIG, despite if I get rejected. I'm going through this trial and error thing when it comes to getting my foot in the door and it's okay. It only took me 2 weeks for the resume I already have, now it's gonna take another week. I'm a writer and it's all about editing something to make it better.

So, hopefully something in the near future (like in the next few months) you'll hear my success story.

No comments: