April 15, 2008

Passing Notes.

(notes circa '99)

Since my move just recently, I was able to look at a few things I wouldn't normally try to look at everyday. I went through pictures that I have saved since I was in the 6th grade, which I hope doesn't get leaked on the internet somehow because I would have to sue for invasion of privacy under embarrassing facts. (Just to give you a visual, there was a 3 foot '96 sign in white block letters behind me in the photo.)

Anyways, before everyone was able to even afford a cell phone, my friends and I use to write notes to each other each period. We used metallic pens and wrote in slang with really messy handwriting. I could barely even make out what I wrote. We would buy really cool notebooks and write to each other back and forth, so the letters were in chronological order. There were lot of implications about what was going on in our lives. I don't know about everyone else's life, but life for me was very difficult. I had a lot going on at home. And my friends... they just made me everything a lot easier for me. I really want to thank the people that were in my life when I was in my teens because they made me feel really loved.

Anyways, each note (like the one shown above) consisted of us saying hi or how much we care about each other 70% of the time. To think at that time, all I had to worry about was going to school and doing whatever my parents tell me. I didn't have to worry about working to pay off all the things I have. At that time, you could enjoy the time you had, because you didn't have to work and it was all right because you didn't have to.

Another goal I hope to achieve is to write a coming of age story that was based on my life. I hoped sometimes that I wrote down everything that was going on, on paper just to have a thorough record of it, but I was too scared someone would read it. Blogs didn't exist at that time like they do now. I think that kids go through so much and I hope I never forget that when I have children. Kids hide so much from their true feelings about what is going on in their lives. I was a really strong kid at such a young age.

Just to let you know, there's going to be a lot of times I will be vague about my personal life. I feel kind of awkward about really going in to depth about my personal life, but I think that I imply a lot of things to make you wonder. I really prefer you to think that then actually know.


No comments: