April 25, 2008

Vogue Italia makes entire issue featuring black models.


(Jourdan Dunn and Daiane Conterato backstage at Prada show from Style.com)

I heard some breaking news in the past few days about Vogue Italia. According to Vogue.com, Jourdan Dunn, will make history by being on the cover of Vogue Italia. Dunn walked the catwalk during Prada's Fall show this past season. The last black female to be able to grace Prada's shows was Naomi Campbell in 1997. Dunn, along with other non-white models, will be photographed by Steven Meisel.

This is really exciting to hear, especially since "I'm colored." I never realize that Vogue hasn't done this. Maybe I just never thought race was such a huge deal. (I live in the most integrated city in the U.S.) But it's true and it needs to change. Hopefully this will become a trend for all the other fashion magazines because our world is definitely full of color.

(Dunn's walk at Prada show. Style.com)

No comments: