May 19, 2008

Magazines ad sales decline in the double digits.

Don''t make me say goodbye.

It's so upsetting to hear that the industry that I plan to start a career in is declining. Please internet... don't take away the pretty glossy pages of W Magazine away from me. (At least not until I could have contributed to the magazine in some way.)

Damn you, ECONOMIC DECLINE!

According to WWD, the Media Industry Newsletter has shown a decline in ad pages for the last 6 months. The luxury market magazines like Elle, Harper's Bazaar and Vogue hasn't shown a decline, but the mass market magazines, like Cosmopolitan, Glamour, Marie Claire and In Style are in the negative. "
Harper's Bazaar increased ad pages 9 percent, to 890. Vogue reported flat numbers, coming in at 1,328 ad pages. W reported a 2 percent drop in ad pages, to 878," says WWD.

I admit that when I wake up in the morning, I don't read the newspaper. I go directly to fashion/magazine blogs to get my daily fix with industry news. Even though I want to get into the high gloss print industry, I don't have this huge urge to have to subscribe to a magazine when they show so it online (sometimes even more online).

Do you really think print magazines will go away?

Honestly, I think they eventually will... even though I believe that having something in print that I can take around is a lot better than having to lug around a computer trying to look for WiFi. I just think that magazines will slowly move over to using their websites because it's so much cheaper to publish something online than print it.

Who knows... anything can happen.

1 comment:

V said...

at LEAST it's a good way to use less material.

I'm accumulating WAYYYYY too much magazines & I do want to keep them, but... .... man.. I have no space.

I even considered archiving it with my digital camera.. so.. they may as well make it digital.

EVERYTHING is decliningggggggg. blahhhhhhh