March 10, 2010

What's in the Closet: Vintage MIT Brass Rat Ring





It has taken me a while for me to post this... This is quite possibly my favorite piece of jewelry that I own. I wear it more than any other piece of jewelry that I own, because it's kind of underrated, just a simple band of gold with details. It took me a couple of years to find it. It's a 1970 MIT class ring. I'm not a class ring kind of person, but when I first saw this ring on a 70+ women, I was hooked.

I asked her simply, "What kind of ring are you wearing?"

"It's my late husbands MIT ring."

I spent a pretty penny on this thing. I mean I'm kind of embarrassed really, but it's so hard to find and usually really expensive when you find one. They are very coveted. It's the most recognized class ring, but it's only if you know what it is. (It's almost like having a Super Bowl ring but for colleges.) Since I did just take the trip to Boston, I felt like it was very appropriate to finally post it. I love how the gold looks aged more than anything and I found it in really good condition considering how old it is. I had an incident where I almost lost the ring... thank goodness I didn't. I seriously would've had a meltdown. I did lose something else, but it turned out to not be as important as I thought, because at least it's easier to find another one of those than this thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should try to resell it to alums who have lost theirs. That would be nice.

FashionEtiquette said...

i love this ring so much i could never part with it... even though i'm sure i could probably get a lot of money for it.

Anonymous said...

If you (or your late spouse) did not graduate from MIT then you should not be wearing a brass rat.

-MIT graduate