March 25, 2008

the first reply.

I finally got my first reply this morning from a fashion magazine in SF. Even though ideally, it is my first choice when it comes to magazines in SF, I want to raise my standards a bit higher and try to get an internship in NYC... yeah I know just like every other fashion girls dream, right?

Well, allow me to give you some background on me and what made me want to be a part of the fashion industry. It was Alexander
McQueen's Spring/Summer runway show in 1997. (Wow, I think I was 13 at the time.) I was hooked. I wasn't exposed to any fashion except what was in Seventeen magazine. I never knew that fashion can be theatrical at all. The only runway shows I've seen on television (at the time only on Fashion Television) were just normal catwalks, but it was water. The clothes were extremely wearable even though the makeup and hair would definitely cause a regular person to tilt their head. From that day on, I've been watching Alexander McQueen's shows and he has still to this day, been my absolute favorite fashion designer. He is so innovative and out there with his shows, but his clothing is wearable. It's really hard to be able to even get your hands on a lot of his pieces but I have a select few that I really treasure.

As time progressed, I started looking at fashion colleges to attend and they were just so ridiculously overpriced (my first choice Central Saint Martin's or Parson's) I could allow myself to get into that much debt. I went ahead and went the easy way but continued to watch and learn even more about fashion through books, magazines, internet, etc. But the people that really made the influence were people behind fashion magazines. Everyone doesn't sit to think to watch a fashion show. It's easier to look at a fashion magazine, I mean they are right in your face at the check stand. They get to choose what is the new "It" everything. I think that it's a small yet settle influence to the masses, because it does take a while (most of the time) for a fashion trend to trickle down to the masses.

So, I choose journalism. My mom still doesn't really understand what I'm going to become after I graduate from college, but all I could show her is a magazine and she just says, "Is that going to make you any money? Why not be a doctor?"

My replies have always been the same. "No, I don't want to do something because you want me to do it.. I want to be happy doing something for me."

She has finally given up after begging me to change my mind since I was 15. (:

So, I'm going to be done with my journalism degree (and art studio minor) and start to move on with something I'm so incredibly passionate about. The industry is a whirlwind and I want to be the last strong woman standing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mom so funny.. i guess cindy will be filling in those shoes of some type of medical degree.