March 25, 2008

the nortorious fall... that makes you rise.




Everyone remembers when Naomi Campbell fell on the catwalk. It was Vivienne Westwood's Anglomania fashion show in Feb of 1993. I actually got to see the the 12 inch platforms at the De Young Musuem in SF last year. It's funny when you think about it because I'm sure she was really really embarrassed because she is suppose to be this amazing graceful model, but that fall made her like everyone else in the world. Models for some reason get categorized as if they were goddesses from another planet. Even though that was one of the worst things a model can do, it gave her so much media coverage. People even understood the mistake was just something simple.

I know so many people that don't know about fashion, let alone know who Vivienne Westwood is, but they remember Naomi's Fall. I was researching about fashion designers and ran across something very interesting that Vivienne Westwood said in an interview with SHOW studio. People in the industry and what not, asked her questions about her experience in the fashion industry. And here is what she said about her fall:

Naomi Campbell, London: Why did you continue to give me your special blockbuster shoes after I fell down the first time, was it that you had faith in me?

Vivienne Westwood: I wanted you to do it again because we had two more shows to do, but I would never have tried to persuade you if I had thought you really didn't want to. I thought you would want to because you looked so beautiful. You just looked so incredible in them. You know, Naomi, I think you're the Aphrodite of the modern world and the walk of century, this and the last. Remember, we gave you a stick, which you nobly accepted and then held it, and then flourished it a chest-height, demonstrating that you did not need it. The fall was spectacular. Your fall was better than an animal that's just been killed, because although it was physically natural, it was also artificial. Civilisation is artificial, not natural. Fashion is part of civilisation. What I have faith in is your heroic pride.


_______________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________

What Westwood is saying to Naomi is a great inspiration because people do make mistakes and the first time is never going to be perfect. When you do it again and again, that is the only way you can perfect it. It's about taking chances and staying there until the end, because you want to prove yourself and everyone else wrong and there is this feeling about overcoming things. Honestly, I think it feels better than doing it perfect the first time.


I'm finally taking my jump into the fashion industry and since the industry likes to see what you've contributed, I finally caved and started a blog. I constantly browse blogs and I love to read things and see people lives and culture. I'm kind of weird about letting people know my thoughts but it's time to get over it. I don't think there isn't enough out there displaying fashion that isn't in a major city. I know that living in the suburbs, it's hard to find people with style, but I think there are a lot more out there than people think. Some of the best minds came from small towns with big ambitions... it's just so happens that they just eventually move to the city.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

YEah it is true.. no one ever rememers anything but the bad things that happen.. people eventually overcome and empower things they never thought they could...LOVe for fashion for lIFE.. sister KIm