April 25, 2008

Pharrell's Blason jewelry for LV makes it's debut.

(Pharrell Williams in Louis Vuitton Ad Fall/Winter '06-'07)

Pharrell Williams has already designed sunglasses for Louis Vuitton a few seasons back. I remember that they cost anywhere from $800 to $1200 a pair (I went ahead and called the store for my brother that was looking sunglasses... and his Million Dollar glasses were $1000). I didn't have the cash for that then... and I won't have the cash now for his new jewelry line for Louis Vuitton that will be launching via their website on Monday.

I like seeing well-dressed hip-hop moguls collaborating with luxury designers, especially Pharrell. Pharrell has this really cool persona that other hip hop artists don't have and I can't really put my figure on it. In many ways, I don't really look at him as just a hip hop artist and I never have. He didn't have a name until N.E.R.D. I don't feel like he is completely mainstream or overdone. He isn't labeled as this or that. He is labeled as someone successful with whatever he touches and he has done it slowly, which is key on staying up on top for a long time.

When I first heard about Pharrell collaborating with Marc Jacobs with sunglasses, I was really excited to see what that would do to the hip hop community. Also, what would be defined as street wear. Street wear is huge industry and there are tons of people out there willing to pay a lot of money to get the lastest and greatest. Also, they love to own what their favorite artists are wearing. I like the fact that street wear designers has been mixing with luxury brands. I hope that keeps up.


No comments: