July 21, 2008

Newspapers becoming magazines?!

Is this all backwards?

First magazines are worried about online based publications, so they build their own... now newspapers (such as The Chronicle and L.A. Times) are afraid of magazines, so they make their own as well? What is going on here?

While I was at work yesterday, I was given insider info by an employee of The Chronicle that they are planning to branch off and add on a glossy magazine based on the newspaper. "A coffee magazine," the resource explained, because more people are able to touch a monthly magazine compared to a daily paper.

Now, I check up on WWD saying that The L.A. Times is doing the same? I have to admit that The NY Times Style Magazine is great (especially when they exclusively posted Daphne Guinness' short film) but it doesn't mean these publications will end up being the same.

Since The Chronicle is making this move... maybe I should try to join in on the fun?

(;

2 comments:

Los Codos said...

Yeah, craziness.

I dont know if it is the time crazed culture, impatience of laziness - - but I find myself picking up a variety news magazine so I can get all my news in one sitting. I love the week, and newsweek!

Also, I know there are romanticized memories of reading newspapers, but I have a constant struggle with their awkward size and their roundabout news style.

FashionEtiquette said...

i know what you mean.

newspapers are just g frequent that it just seems like a waste after the day the paper comes out.