September 11, 2008

Ways to be fashionable without getting into debt: Consignment stores

People always ask me how I can own a lot of crazy (and expensive) designer items and not be in debt.  Well, 1) I always find a way to do it, especially if I want it that bad.  And 2) there are a lot of ways to get around not having to spend any money to get a piece of great clothing. For example, yesterday, the boyf and I went to Pacific Heights just to hang around.  We stopped by a few shops and then ended at Crossroads Trading Company, a buy-sell-consignment store that has new and used clothing.  Nothing is older than 2 or 3 seasons (unless it's luxury designer goods) and they have stores all over the nation (i have probably seen about 4 or 5 in SF alone).

I found something that I was dying for:


A beautiful camel soft leather short Chloe jacket with large selves.  It had a hefty price tag but, I had to have it, considering it was something that retailed at over $3K, I figured if I didn't want it anymore, it still had a high resell value.  So, instead of charging my debit card.  I decided to go in the next day with all of these clothes I had in my closet that I had to get rid of.  Whenever I go into a consignment store, I'm really picky about what I choose to sell.  I'm not going to bring in just anything, because more than likely they won't take it all.  So, I'm extremely selective with what I sell to the stores because I want them to buy it.

Here was my selection:



I wasn't able to get all the money for the jacket, but it was a lot less than I originally had to spend.  So, next time you are thinking about buying something that is a little out of your budget, think consignment instead.  Think of it as, trading your old things for something a lot better.

End Result:

No comments: