September 17, 2008

Beauty comes from the inside.

(Kristen McMenamy, Vogue Italia 1997)

"Some girls' personalities are shaped by their beauty, other girls' personalities are shaped by their lack of." -H. Brubach

Growing up, whenever I would see models that weren't obviously pretty, I couldn't understand why they would be on a runway. For example, the first time I saw Erin O'Connor, when I was 13, I thought she looked like a man. I didn't understand why they choose her; she had no shape to her body, she was flat chested and her nose was huge. It wasn't until until I saw her in a few more ads, I started to understand. She was beautiful, in a very realistic way. What I mean by that is, she is beautiful, but instead of it being obvious, you had to take a second take. Her flaws made her look more interesting than anyone else. To me, to find out about someone from the inside out was a lot more... (if I can can say) rewarding. To actually get to know someone doesn't take very much.

Whenever I go out with any group of friends, they are always judging people, everyone does it (it's a natural thing) but sometimes I think to myself that I could find someone really truly unique if I wasn't looking with my eyes. To think only when you are literally blind, you'd be able to see that. I meet the most amazing people that way.

How about you?

No comments: