September 19, 2008

Window-watching: upclose and personal.

Normally, I look at runway shows just from afar (on my computer or a magazine, of course) but I've changed my ways lately. About 2 months ago, I was hanging out with my brother (an architect) in downtown SF doing some family bonding. We had to do a little shopping for him, which is the hardest thing to do sometimes... he is a size that is nearly impossible to find. So, I start to get frustrated after going to 6 more stores than I would like. I like to go into places where I know I'm going to find exactly what I want... but with him, it's hit and miss. Shopping for him becomes a little bit of a task because of the restrictions I'm given. So, he starts to feel bad and asks me, "Where do you want to go?"

Today, we strolled over to Barney's New York. I like to look around to see the collections up close and personal. A block away is the Louis Vuitton store. He started to talk about how he hated all of the LV bags running all over the place (about 98% of them are actually fake). I mentioned that they actually had very well-made bags that did have the logo but it wasn't as obvious. Of course, those bags cost 3 to 4 times more.
So, we go ahead and check it out. He then started to ask me about the clothing line that bears the name. I really ever see people actually wearing any of the pieces and I don't know why. Maybe sometimes I don't notice it. They are so well tailored and designed. One of the pieces that really stood out for me for fall was this one:



These shoes were also to die for. The stiletto heel is completely disconnected from the wedge heel. I love the idea of it! Take notice that when the model steps down, the stiletto heel becomes connected as one with the wedge.

I wish I had brought a camera with me so I could really show you the details of the dress. Sometimes I look at items like this that are simple, but when you are close, so detailed. I'm always blown away. No wonder why this particular piece has a $3000 price tag. Marc Jacobs design ascetic is there; you can tell that it's his work, but it's still separate from his namesake line.

Sometimes when I come into stores like this, I get kind of nervous... only because I'm not going to buy anything. Sometimes I feel awkward just looking around knowing. I'm getting over it because I'm able to know so much more about fashion by looking at each of the pieces that I see on the runway.

P.S.
I also went by Neiman Marcus and found out that Proenza Schouler (
designers Lazaro Hernandez and Jack McCollough) were there doing an in-store appearance. Ugh... I was 2 hours too late. The fashion gods really don't love me too much here. ):

No comments: