January 6, 2009

Fashion history through books...


Whenever I go to a used book store, I immediately go to the fashion section (of there is one) and check out what they have. I found A.L.T. : Andre Leon Talley at a cool book store in the mission for $6. I never really realized he wrote a memoir in 2003. It's a little different than what I'm sue to reading when it comes to fashion. I never read a book about an Editor before, but I figure I need to start somewhere.

Andre is such a stand out character in fashion. While watching Fashion TV as a kid, I always thought to myself, who is this large African American man in the biggest fur coat I've ever seen on anyone. I never really realize his influence he had on the fashion world. He first started at Interview Magazine, then later did American Vogue, WWD and a Costume Institute consultant with the ever so famous Diana Vreeland (former Editor-and-Chief at American Vogue).

It's funny to read this memoir and watch him in clips because he is so sophisticated and proper.


I want to know as much about fashion as I can, so instead of just looking at pictures in magazines, I want to know the past and I want to see it through another persons eyes.

No comments: