April 1, 2008

shoes.

I have been slowly moving my stuff in the past week into my new apartment. The first thing I pretty much moved over was my shoes... and I had to move them all over at once (well john had to move them too). I haven't kept track of my shoe collection in the past 2 years, because I just really didn't want to know how much of my salary has been invested into them. From all the boxes that are visible, I counted up to 100 and then immediately stopped.

Recently, in a article from the L.A. Times called,
"Manolo lovers feel financial pain at the pump," shoes are having their "runway moment." Sarah Jessica Parker's character, Carrie, in Sex and the City probably made this a universal phenomenon. I knew of Manolo Blahnik from growing up fashion obsessed, but the rest of the world had no clue. Now retailers "mark up shoes 2.4 to three times the wholesale price. (On clothes and bags, the average markup is generally twice the wholesale price.)"

Come on ladies... what are you trying to do to me? Just stop buying shoes... or at least go ahead and wait for them to go on sale.


My shoe obsession started before I even discovered SATC (I finally payed attention during the 5th season because of my roommate, Arlene). I worked in a shoe department for a major department store almost 5 years. I got my first pair of designer shoes at 19. A pair of Marc by Marc Jacobs teal flats, that look like they are in relatively brand new condition because I had them resoled twice already. That's one great thing about designer shoes... you can always make them brand new again. So, besides having a large bill from MJ himself, I also get a large bill for my amazing shoe repair guy, but it beats trying to find another pair to replace them for $400.

No comments: